Dig is considered as one of the most important strategies in volleyball. The fundamental strategies in order to make volleyball dig are to set up around the block, read the hitter and also dig into the target. Teammates would most of the time decide ahead of time how they would defend a hitter. The blockers should communicate with the defense regarding who is blocking and also where on the court the defense would be positioned.
Dig Strategies in Volleyball
- Know the tendencies of the hitters. There is a need to know where the hitter would like to swing hard and also know the favorite shots of the hitters.
- Watch the setter. Know whether the setter is in the front row and once they like to attack into the second ball. Once the pass travels into the setter, observe certain signs which the setter would attack. Though the setter is on the back row, they could still dump the ball. Once the setter turns the body facing the net and then sets or hits the ball over is considered as the most easily readable attack of the setter. And the other one would be once the setter plays the ball only with a single arm raised.
- Watch the hitter. You must watch the shoulders of the hitter. The direction that the hitter is facing would be the most likely direction that they are also going to hit.
- Watch the arm swing of the hitters. The elbow dropping is considered as a great clue that they are to hit an off speed shot.
- Watch the approach of the hitters. Once they don’t take quick and aggressive approach as they normally would they might probably are not going to hit a hard driven ball.
You must also expect that the ball would be hit your way once the hitter is approaching. It might be so easy to get caught by surprise through a hard hit. Always consider focusing on a hard hit first and then play the shot next. In addition, once the opponents are hitting they might as well have two options only. They might swing hard or hit a shot. There is a need for you to first defend the hard hit then be ready for a shot. Once you can tell that they are not to swing hard then be ready to move as well.
Common Characteristics of Hitters Hitting Off Speed Shots
- Taking unusual or slower approach. Most of the time a hitter might decide before they would even approach that they are not going to swing. It would help reading the hitter if you are to watch for an unusual approach.
- Dropping the elbow prior to swinging the arm. A slow swing of an arm or elbow dropping might be of great sign that a hitter would roll or tip the ball.
- Having to adjust the approach. The set could be father off or might be tighter compared with what is expected. Most of the time, inexperienced hitters would adjust the approach and would just try as well as keep the ball in play in order to avoid making an error with hitting.
It is a fact that great defense players would be about learning to react spontaneously into new situations. The key in order to play great defense would be hustling and also beating the ball into the destination. There might be numbers of ways in order to get to the ball like sprinting, jumping, sprawling, rolling, diving, falling and taking quick steps. But overall, in order to have the best dig there is also a need to develop of great defensive mindset.