Poker has evolved from a simple backroom game to a sporting event and known as the most popular and also most played card game in the United States and also all over the world. It also offers pros enjoying the same celebrity status like those of the world-renowned athletes. However, there are some interesting facts about Poker that you must know as well. Some of them are the following:
Interesting Facts about Poker
- Poker is known to belong to a class of card games referred as vying games which involve betting into the quality of card combinations in a single hand compared with actually playing the cards out. Winning would be achieved along with great deal of bluffing.
- It is also a fact that the origin of poker is considered to be obscure. There are some who believe that poker is a by-product of the combination of different card games like As Nas of Persia, Poque of France, Ganjifa of India and also Pochen of Germany wherein its name was derived from Poque and Pochen. It is believed as well to share its ancestry along with Spanish game Primero and also the French brelan wherein it directly descended the English game Bragg that uses bluffing as means of winning. In United States, the very first documented game of Poker was being played in 1829 in New Orleans. The said game was then spread into other parts of the country in 1834 through Mississippi river boats where gambling was considered as favorite pastime. The said events were described in detail by an author named Jonathan H. Greene into his book entitled An Exposure of the Arts and Miseries of Gambling.
- As the game evolved, elements of the poker were being added. As being chronicled by the author Greene, Poker in early 1800s was played with the use of 20 cards which are made up of only kings, queens, aces, tens and jacks having four persons each that hold the five cards. There will be no draws done and so bets were also made with certain combinations like a pair, two pairs, triplets, full with the use of all five cards and four-of-a-kind. And as the game spread, there are variations which are being developed. Soon the entire 52 decks were used and so Flush or five cards in same suit however not in sequence was added as a betting combination together with straight or five cards in sequence however not of the same suit. These days, numbers of Poker variations have also evolved along with valid betting combinations from lowest to highest.
- The popularity of Poker has influenced the American language and culture. There are numbers of common words as well as expressions in the English language that have been derived from Poker. Most of the said expressions are indeed commonly used nowadays even by those people who have never considered playing Poker.
- The grand tournaments for Poker were held in numbers of casinos. There is also a rise of online sites for Poker and also the publication of serious poker strategy books would point into the great popularity of the said game today. And indeed, Greene described poker as the game of cheaters.
Poker is definitely played by numbers of individuals not just within a certain area but almost all over the world. And even those that are not playing poker are also becoming interested with the said game. Having an idea about poker facts might be of great help for almost everyone but most especially to those that are planning to play the game poker. The above mentioned facts must therefore be considered.